Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Oldest Top Is Finally Quilted!

I had a lot of fun making the blocks for this quilt.   So I just kept making them.  The quilt grew and grew.  When I laid it on top of my bed to see how much larger to make it, I had a shock.  It was a king size, plus a generous twin size already! 

Out came the seam ripper and I carefully removed bocks to make the king size top.  Then it sat in a project bag.  For ages!  I was waiting for the opportunity to rent time on a larger long arm.  But that didn't look like it was ever going to happen.  So I divided the top in half, and did each half on my mid arm.

After the quilting was finished, the two halves were stitched together.  I hand stitched the backing closed.  Next was to free motion down the centre seam.

Ever try to free motion down the centre of a king size quilt?  It's nuts!  How do those that do all their quilting on a DSM manage?   If there had been more of the backing fabric, I would have tackled the quilting differently. 

The top would have been divided into three sections.  Quilted using the mid arm and frame.  Then sew the first two sections together.  Free motion on the seam.  Then only 1/3 of the top, bat and backing would have to be forced between the needle and the machine.  Instead of a full half!   Then repeat for the third section. 

At no time would there have been half of the quilt being pushed, shoved, and cursed at while trying to free motion along a joining seam. Oh well.  Live and learn.  And I can't imagine making another king size quilt any time soon! 

The quilt suspension system worked great for putting the binding on.  No drag of heavy fabric to pull the edge of the quilt out from under the machine foot.  Any problems with the binding is operator error.


And now for the quilt.....the oldest top in my collection is finally on my bed!  It's a simple pattern.  But keep in mind how many years ago it was made.  And I still like it!


1 comment: