Sunday, January 21, 2018

Under suspense?

Adding the binding to my last quilt was a drag.  No joking.  The weight of the quilt kept pulling the binding edge out from under the sewing machine foot.  The binding was finished.  But as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm really not happy with how it turned out.

I know there is a solution out there.  I've watched enough videos while I was avoiding doing something productive.  Sew it's time to re-do the sewing room/quilt studio.

First thing that came to mind was snow carpets from the dollar stores.  After a bit of searching I found the video that shows how these carpets are used.  The slippery side of the kids sled helps reduce the fabric drag.  Cost $3 per snow carpet.

 When working on a large quilt, I can place both carpets over the two sewing machine tables that are back to back.

If I have another quilter over for a sewing session, we each can have a carpet on our sewing table. 

But there is still a lot of drag when the quilt is really heavy.

Next comes looking for videos on quilting suspension systems.  There are quite a few sites that sell these.  But I'm cheap.  (See above using snow carpets from the dollar store instead of the expensive sliders sold at quilt shops and sewing machine stores)


A DIY quilt suspension search lead to some interesting ideas.  The one that did not require putting holes in the walls/ceiling (anyone met my DH?), suggested using a garment trolley.   A quick trip to Jysk and $26 CDN later, I have a trolley.





DH came up with the bungee cords and another trip to the dollar store provided 10 clamps for $2. 

Now for the real suspense story.   Will this work the way I'm hoping it will?  Later.....






1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see if this works, I have been looking at different ways to set up a similar system but will wait to hear how you like yours.

    ReplyDelete