Friday, January 19, 2018

2015 365 Day Block Challenge - Finished! Well at least half of it is....

January 1, 2015, a number of quilters (myself included) started a quilting adventure.  We signed up to receive quilt block instructions every day.  And it was a challenge to keep up with these blocks.  Life does get in the way!

The blocks were 3 1/2" for the dark fabrics.  And 6 1/2" for the lighter value blocks.  A lot of different techniques were used.  Who knew there are so many ways to make flying geese or half square triangles?  And lets not talk about Y seams.  Thank you!

When it came time to put the blocks together in a top, I soon realized several things.  The top would be too large to go on my mid arm quilt frame.  And I really didn't like how busy the quilt would be.  My solution was to calm the quilt down by using half the blocks required and substitute tone on tone squares to give the eyes a place to rest.  This meant I have enough blocks for two quilts.

The centres and first border on both quilt tops went on my mid arm and were quilted.  I left plenty of room around the edges to attach the borders.  The borders were to go on using a quilt as you go method.  Each quilt would use a different method.


Confession time.  You know how seams are supposed to be a scant 1/4"....well a lot of my seams are fat 1/8".  Or plain 1/8".  I can only hope the quilts will manage a few washings before they fall apart!

Sew, here's the first Block of the Day quilt.  No promises on when the second quilt will be finished!


1 comment: