Thursday, January 25, 2018

Where to put those bungee cords....

I finally had a chance to test the quilting suspension system.  What a great idea to have it between the two sewing tables.  Or sew I thought.  The tables are narrow, the quilt large.   No where for the fabric to land after it comes through the sewing machine.

There was a centre seam in a king size quilt to be stitched.  The two halves of the quilt weigh a ton.  One of these days I will weigh the quilt.  Fabric is heavy!  The clamps held the fabric just fine.  The sewing machine, my shoulders and hands felt the relief of not having to wrestle all that weight.   But the garment rack suspension system was in the wrong place.

Actually, ideally the rack should be in an L shape.  Behind and to the left of the sewing machine.  That would be ideal for handling the weight.  But just behind the machine helps so much.   Except for the lack of space on one table.

So the garment rack was pulled out.  The machine tables are again butted up to each other, making one large table.  The rack can be moved to behind which ever sewing machine is in use.  Problem solved!  





I'm ready to free motion some leaves down the centre seam, using my Janome.  Hopefully that part will be finished tomorrow.  Then I'll move the rack to the other side and use the Brother to sew on the binding.  I'm sew looking forward to not having the weight of the fabric drag the quilt out from under the sewing machine foot during that job!


No comments:

Post a Comment