Tuesday, January 2, 2018

A Quilty Start To 2018

New Year's Eve was lovely and quiet.  Good friends came over for the afternoon.  After a pleasant visit they went on their way and we headed over to my Mom's.

We drove Mom around looking at Christmas lights and then came home.  DS joined us for a while and all of us watched some really old black and white Christmas specials while snacking on the appetizers I forgot to serve Christmas Eve.  The shows were memories for Mom, and something new for DS.  Not sure what he thought of these old shows.  Some of them were groaners.

When we took Mom home, DH decided to drive through some different residential areas so Mom could see even more Christmas lights.   I love the introduction of projection lights.  It makes it that much easier for home owners to light up their homes.  The lighting bug is sneaky.  One starts with a projection, then add an inflatable snowman or Santa.  Next thing you know your whole yard is decorated.  Makes it fun for all of us.

After dropping Mom off, we drove past DH's parents to see if the lights were on in their home.  Yep, they were.  So we parked in their driveway and called them to see if they were up to having some company.  They were, so we got our New Year's hug from them as well.  All in all, a wonderful way to spend New Year's Eve.

New Year's Day 2018 started with a mystery quilt.  Merry Meyhem Mystery Quilts hosted this mystery project.  The instructions were great.  Several of the ladies from hearts2hands Yahoo group were participating.  So there were a few emails from the group during the day about the mystery.

While squaring up a block, my ruler slipped and I trimmed off a tad more than I was supposed to.  Okay, a lot more.  And it was the fabric that I didn't have any left.  Do I trim all the blocks down?  Or do I rip out all the blocks, choose a different fabric and re-make all those blocks.  Guess what I chose!  The 8 1/2" blocks are now 8" blocks.  And I was able to get the quilt top finished in one day.  Not sure if I'll add a border or two.  It's a larger lap size now (instead of the twin size it was supposed to be).  A decision for later. 




No comments:

Post a Comment