Friday, February 9, 2018

Sew what's happening in the sewing room?

What's happening?   The answer is a lot of seam ripping.  Remember this quilt I made for DS's new home?

There was a problem with it.  Every time it was washed, the fabric from the squares would pull out from under the sashing.  Not sure why,  All of the edges were securely stitched.  But it happened.  Loose weave in the fabric perhaps.  Not all the squares had this issue.  Just the light blue.  So that might be the issue.

Wrestling this huge quilt under the sewing machine to make repairs was a pain.  So I bit the bullet and cut the quilt apart.  Dug out the seam ripper and spent hours taking it apart.  All in an effort to save the Star Trek fabric that is no longer available. 

A lot of trimming, starching, pressing and sewing later, here's the new quilt top.


Tomorrow I'll run out to pick up some more batting and I can get this top quilted and give it back to DS. 

The first quilt had been done as a quilt as you go.  This left me with a lot of batting squares and backing.  I'm not one to throw out anything.  So what do I do with the left overs?

The answer came yesterday in an email from Angela Walters.  She's starting a Free Motion Quilt Along.  Quite a few of us from the hearts2hands Yahoo group will be quilting along.  This should be fun. 

Today was spent preparing for the Quilt Along.  My blocks, backing and backing are ready to be put together for the challenge.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment