Saturday, November 2, 2013

Planning a trip to Walt Disney World - for someone else!

What fun!  CL, my best friend in high school's daughter sent me an e-mail.  She was asking for some advice for a trip to Walt Disney World in July of 2014.  Look out.  Information overload.  I'm afraid after my first two replies, which were lengthy, she is sorry she asked.

They had hoped to stay at Wilderness Lodge which is on the expensive side.  So I advised her to sign up for a Disney account in the hopes of receiving some discount codes.  Also to check out some of the many travel agencies that specialize in WDW.  There are some agencies that will apply any discounts that come out to your booking.  Free of charge.  And they check every day for those discounts.  Plus you can pay monthly so by the time you take your trip, it's all paid for.

But I did have a suggestion for CL.  Check out the Art of Animation resort.  It's WDW's newest resort.  Just right for her three boys.  The suites sleep six.  And it's a value plus resort so the costs are not any where near Wilderness Lodge.  If their hearts are set on staying at Wilderness, they could transfer for the last days of their stay.  Disney will transfer their luggage for them.  I sent her a video (actually quite a few) of the Art of Animation. 

Now for what's happening for the four ladies trip this month.

JT did get her flu shot!  Yeah!  SB was not able to get it but she's taking good care of herself so we're hoping the flu bug doesn't get her.

Normally I have no issue with air pressure when flying.  But with just recovering from a cold I decided to bring some of those air plane ear plugs.  I think the others will be bringing them along as well.  From what I'm reading, any type of sinus problems makes take offs and landings very painful.  So I'm hedging my bets. 

I'm keeping up with the Christmas decorating progress at Disney World.  It should look like Christmas when we get there. 

The hard part is trying to figure out what type of clothes to wear to the airport.  We each have very strong views on this subject.  I am reminding the ladies that the storage/closet space is very limited and that we do have to share it equally.

This is causing us to re-think what to take.  Pop Century is a value resort, so "you gets what you pay for".  And what we get is a 3 dresser drawers and a very small area for hanging clothes.  Which 2 people do have to share.  I can't imagine 4 people staying in the same room at this resort. 

We are now in the time period to do our on line check in at the resort.  I did this last year and won't be doing it again.  There was a lot of difficulty when they put us on the main floor (despite our requesting 3rd floor).  As soon as they realize Mom's age, they immediately think stairs will be too much for her.  Got news for them. 

So we'll wait until we get there to check in and then they can "discuss" with Mom in person about the room location.  And they better not put us into a "quiet" area either.  In other words the area that overlooks bushes where they store the maintenance vehicles.  Instead of the rooms overlooking the huge fun icons that are all over the main areas of the resort. 

Now to decide what to take....






No comments:

Post a Comment