Friday, August 9, 2013

Long Arm Quilting System

Did I mention that I love to quilt?  I dream of quilts. I've flooded my family and friends with quilts (that they do not need).  I've made charity quilts, look for quilt shops while on vacation.  I listen to quilting pod-casts while quilting.  I subscribe to QNN (24/7 quilt shows on the net).  Well you get the idea.

The only part of the quilting process (besides the mess it creates in my home) that I really didn't enjoy was the basting and quilting.  I had so many pieced tops waiting for completion that I almost gave up quilting and donated the tops to Goodwill.  Then I read on the Internet about the Bailey system.

The Bailey is a mid/long arm machine that can be ordered along with a frame that comes at a reasonable cost.  I joined a Yahoo group that is focused on the machine as well as the Proboard discussion group.  Wonderful quilters on these two sites and loads of information.  I finally made the leap and ordered one which was delivered in May.  After a few bumps in the learning curve, almost all of my quilts are finished.  Happy Dance!!!

So here is a photo of my 17" Bailey:

And I built the Gracie Queen frame myself!.  DH did have to spend some time fixing it so it is level and the tracks are spaced perfectly. 

I did have some issues with thread tension and breakage So I "exercised" the tension disks for a day or two.  Every time I went by it I would change the tension then raise and lower the foot a few dozen times.  That seems to have fixed the problem.  Guess it was stubborn but I can beat any machine in that department.

I'm sure I'll be writing about Bailey again soon.





Here is one of the early quilts that I finished on the Bailey.  It went to one of the Southern Alberta flood victims.

No comments:

Post a Comment