Monday, February 26, 2018

"Ruler" work on mid arm?

I'm so tempted to try ruler work using my Bailey on the quilt frame.  One of these days we will get to a sewing centre so I can purchase the correct ruler foot to use for this type of quilting.

But what if I really don't like that type of quilting.  It's a lot of money to spend on not only the machine foot, but also for the extra thick rulers needed and the lollipop used to support the ruler.  Time to think out of the box before putting out that much cash.

Here's what I found at the dollar store for $3:


It's a light weight "Artist Panel".  Turn it upside down and you have edges that will not go under the quilting foot that is on the sewing machine. 

Here's several photos of how the box fits under the machine next to the foot.  



There is no way the foot will hop over this edge!  So if all you want to do is put some straight edges on your quilt.   Lets say for "Dot to Dot" quilting.  This is a $3 way to go.

The down side is that there are no ruler markings for lining up the seams. 

The upside is there is a lovely edge to hold on to for moving and placing the straight edge. Very easy to guide and keep in place!  And it's so light weight that you do not need a lollipop to support the box.


A bit of fun playing with it:


There is no way I could have free handed straight lines like this.  Can I do complicated designs using this box?  Maybe with more patience than I have.  But for some simple quilting where straight lines would be the right way to go....I'm happy with my experiment.

An update on the dragon fly quilt.  I was so happy with how it was turning out using invisible thread.  Then the thread started breaking, snagging, pieces getting caught up in my machine.  I ended up using black thread to secure the outer edges of each wing and body. 

Once that was done, it was time to secure the tiny bits of fabric that make this quilt special.   Do I change the thread colour for each section?  Contrary to a dear friend's opinion, I do not have that much thread!  So back to the invisible thread.

After a lot of frustration, cleaning the bobbin area constantly, picking up bits and pieces of nylon thread using tweezers....I decided to follow my own advice.  If something is not working...."YouTube it".   Anyone who has experience with invisible thread has already guessed what I had not done.  I forgot to change the upper tension on my sewing machine!  After two and a half dragon flies worth of blue air, things are finally going smoothly.   Hope I didn't just jinx it!






No comments:

Post a Comment