Thursday, February 22, 2018

Machine Applique On The Dragon Fly Wall Hanging

Yesterday I asked the ladies at volunteer sewing how they would stitch down the little pieces of fabric on the dragon fly quilt.   
 
Raw edge, button hole and satin stitch were the main suggestions.  Being lazy, I decided on raw edge.
But this morning even that seemed daunting.   Having to turn that large piece of backing under the sewing needle so often was a pain.  And I'd have to do it twice, once for the coloured fabric, and once again for the black.

Sew I put a hopping foot on my machine, used the zig zag setting, kept the feed dogs up, set the machine on slow stitching so I wouldn't get ahead of myself, and stitched down part of a wing using a free motion movement.
 
I'm using invisible nylon thread on the top, and black in the bobbin.   So far, this has worked like a dream.  A close look at the stitching will show that the stitches are uneven.  But you would have to make sure your glasses are on to see it.  No constantly  turning that huge backing under the needle.   I used the zig zag setting just in case I was too slow to move the fabric, plus the needle moving side to side means  I have to move the fabric under the needle less.
 
I sent the above description in an e-mail to my quilting pals on hearts2hands to see if anyone on the group has ever used this type of stitching for machine appliqué before.  I'm hoping that they will get back to me before I go much further.  If they have tried this and found a problem,  I want to know.  Ripping out tiny stitches is not my favourite pass time!  Here's hoping I  hear from them before I have time to get back to the sewing machine!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment