Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sewing Room Ramblings

My poor Janome.  It must be wondering what the heck is happening.  First the ruler foot was on it so no more piecing.  Plus it had that hard plastic box top taped over it to provide a base for ruler work.  At least the machine's owner figured out how to lower and raise the feed dogs.  But now what?

The 1/4" foot has been put back on for regular sewing.  A different seamstress was using the machine to make coffee coasters.  Then there is 100% cotton thread going through it and the Janome really prefers thread with some polyester.  The noises Janome making in protest!

So what's happening?  Here goes:

Just as I was really seeing some progress on my ruler work using a domestic machine a friend asked if we could have a group sewing day at my place.  Our mission was to make as many coasters as possible for her to sell at an upcoming craft sale.  Proceeds will be what puts food on her table so I was not going to say no.

Another friend joined us and we had an assembly line going.  One cutting, one pressing and folding and another sewing.  Then turning the coasters right side out and a final press.   By chance I over heard the other ladies discussing making the coasters large enough for a soup bowl.  The friend selling the coasters had a request for these from someone who heats up soup at work. 

Wait...a larger coaster isn't the solution.  A fabric bowl holder is.
A quick search on line and we have these:


Now the discussion is how much to sell them for.  The cost works out to about $3.50 each to make.  At the moment they take about 45 minutes from start to finish.  If she sells them at $5 each that's making about $1.50 per hour. 

My friend will have to decide if it's worth making at that price.  But my Janome won't be used for any more.  This machine really does not like 100% cotton thread and that's what you have to use on these holders.  Put polyester into the microwave and you could end up with a fire.  Perhaps a different cotton thread would be okay...but we're working with what I have in stock. 

One interesting development that I didn't expect.  I had left the hard plastic box top on the bed of the sewing machine and table.  The other ladies loved it.  Good thing I purchased extra boxes to cut up as they both took one one for their machine tables.

Then yesterday DH decided he had to go to Canadian Tire.  While I was killing time and getting steps in on my FitBit I came across the kitchen area (a place I usually avoid - I don't cook).  Hanging on an aisle end low enough for me to see (no short jokes please) was the Oven Genie and it was on sale. 



The Oven Genie is a Teflon sheet that can be cut to fit under the oven elements (can also be used in a toaster oven) to make clean up simple.  I had read that it makes a terrific top on a sewing table so fabric will move easily when free motion quilting.  I purchased one and still have to fit it in place.  Fabric does slide better on the Oven Genie than on the plastic box top.  But the box top is sturdier.  I may end up using both to get the best of both worlds. 


I won't be trying it out today.  It's Mom's birthday!  We are taking her out for lunch and then to a movie.  Tomorrow is back to the Alberta Retina Clinic for me.  Time for more laser and another injection into my right eye.  I won't be seeing much until Tuesday.  Then I'll be playing catch up with all my projects.






No comments:

Post a Comment