Thursday, March 24, 2016

In the sewing room

Seems like I'm getting to spend quite a bit of time in my sewing room lately.  And I'm not complaining.

A few days ago a friend in BC sent me a request for a bag to hold her clothes pegs.  The one she's had for ages fell apart.  A quick search on line came up with some very cute ideas.  Kids shorts or skirts, with the bottom stitched closed and hung on the line using hangers with clips.  Since I have no little ones I had to make a plain boring bag.

It's made from left over upholstery fabric.  I'm hoping she remembers to bring it in.  It's not likely to weather well.

The ruler work on my Janome is progressing well.  I can see quite an improvement.  I did come across an article that suggested using a zipper foot for ruler work.  The foot is higher than a regular foot and shouldn't slip under a ruler while sewing.  Something for those without a ruler foot to try using? 

In January I came across a lovely quilt on Pinterest.  I just had to try to recreate it.  I succeeded but it was way too small.  The solution is a few borders.  But what borders?  I came up with the "brilliant" idea of having the ladies on hearts2hands yahoo group choose a border a month.  I'd post possible fabrics that could be used.  They would select which fabric i would use.  Not a great idea.  It's a pain to upload photos of the fabric.  Asking everyone to log in to see the fabrics was unreasonable. 

My next idea was to randomly choose a border design every month from one of the books on the shelf.  Then reach in to my stash of fabric that is set aside for this quilt, and pull out as many fabrics needed. 

February's boarder was easy.  A plain strip of fabric all the way around. 

March was another story.  Pin wheel blocks all the way around.  That's a whole lot of 1 1/2" half square triangles (HST)!  I gave up half way through and decided on a bow tie block.  It uses half the number of HSTs.  And I had those made by the time I gave up on the pin wheels.  So the "Border of the Month" project is caught up for March.  Here's hoping the random page selection will be an easy border for April!



No comments:

Post a Comment