Sunday, December 6, 2015

Decorating for Christmas

It's really weird this year.  Decorating the house without any Christmas music playing.  My ear infection makes any music playing very painful.  Really hoping that by the 24th I'll be able to listen to Christmas music and movies!

But the decorating must happen.  So out come the bins and bins of decorations.  First out contained Christmas stockings.  And on the top were Tina and Ba'els.  It wasn't easy, but these went into the garbage.  I really don't know any other cats named Tina or Ba'el so it's not like we could pass the stockings along to other cat owners.

Next out was the "finally" finished "Welcome to the North Pole".  This was the block of the month quilt that DH gave me as a gift.  It took me out of my quilting comfort zone, which I really enjoyed.  It's a lovely quilt, but where to hang it?  DH had a brilliant idea.  Use bull dog (fold back) clips and hang it on the railing in the front entrance.

But those bull dog clips are not exactly attractive.  It's not what we have done in the past, but why not pin Christmas stockings on either side of each of the bull dog clips?  It worked.  That left one stocking to attach to the railing and that's done!

Next was to do something with the treadle.  It was closed up, covered with a Christmas quilted runner, and a fibre optic village placed on top.  Now what to do with all those silk poinsettia flowers?  We used to use them to fill in where the cats would bend the tree branches trying to climb or play with the ornaments.  Don't need the flowers for that any longer.  I think they look great covering the treadle bottom!


Next out of the bin comes a Christmas pillowcase that was sent to me in an online quilt group exchange.  I've never used it as a pillow, and one day someone will indicate it's exactly what they would like.  Until then it's doing duty as a runner for the end table by the couch with another fibre optic village.


The tree is up now.  I haven't finished decorating it, but it's up.  Did I mention in last year's posts how much I like...no...love my pre lit tree?  I would wish for a larger more fuller one.  But at a time when we should be thinking about downsizing, this one will do just fine.  I'll post a photo of the tree once the decorating is finished.

Now that I'm starting to feel better and can walk again, I felt up to doing something creative.  So I made a pressed penny Christmas Ornament and a pressed penny bracelet.  These pennies were collected during my recent trip to Walt Disney World.  I'm sure I'll run out of pennies before I run out of ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment