Monday, February 24, 2014

Two different scrappy blocks and a mirror or two

I have this bundle of 10" square fabrics that I would like to do something fun with.  After seeing a demo at a quilt shop I decided to give the techniques a try with some scrappy fabric.  I'm not happy with the results but it is a learning experience.

So here they are:

With right sides together, sew two squares together.  1/4" seam on all four sides.
Then slice on the diagonal both directions to make four half square triangles.

 Press open.
Make a pin wheel block.
Next cut the block 1 1/2" from centre on all four sides.  Trim the left over rectangles to the length of the centre pinwheel block and half square triangles to the width of the rectangles.

Play around with the blocks until you like the end result.  This is what I came up with.
Using fabrics with more contrast would have made the block come out so much better, but here's what it looks like in the corner mirror tool.






Next I sewed a scrappy four patch.
Cut 2" from the centre seams in all four directions.
Now it's time to play.

After playing this is what I decided on.
What if I made more blocks like this. 


 While these were fun to play with, I'm not thrilled with them.  So it's back to the the books, net, magazines etc to see what else I can come up with for that layer cake bundle.

In the mean time.....

My husband has been playing with his solar oven.  The cinnamon bun dough came from one of those Pillsbury cans you find at the grocery store.  Since they are not gluten free I won't be having any.  But I really do think it's neat that he baked them outside....in -19 degree weather!  His solar oven warmed up to 350 degrees in about 20 minutes.  With no hot spots in the oven there is no need to worry about burning.  Added plus...he cleans up everything!






No comments:

Post a Comment