Wednesday, February 12, 2014

New Tote Bag and setting up email for my Linux course


My last post showed a photo of a quilt made for my son.  He had purchased a bed spread off an eBay store that came from a favourite vacation resort.  It was way too heavy to use and he's not really into bed spreads.  Loves quilts though.  So I separated the three layers and used the top with a light bat and a sheet for backing and the result was a light queen size quilt.

There were left overs from the top so I decided to make a tote bag.  After getting some ideas from books and Internet sites, the bag was made.  It has a zipper (I hate any bags that don't close to prevent spillage if you drop them), 6 outside pockets and 3 inside ones.   I now have a request for a bag just like it but smaller.  So hopefully I'll be able to gather enough small scraps to make another one.  There's not much of this fabric left so here's hoping!


I did finish the embellishments on this months two blocks from the "Welcome to the North Pole" block of the month quilt.  I'm beginning to realize that I'm depending way too much on glitter as an embellishment.  What can I say...it's an easy go to.

Today's Linux lesson was setting up the e-mail program.  I'm using an old laptop for this lesson.  I log in to the course from my desktop and follow instructions on the laptop.

For the life of me I could not find the settings our e-mail provider uses.  I needed these settings to set up the e-mail on the laptop.  Checking on the net where Ubuntu (the operating system I use on the desktop) stores these settings was a frustrating exercise.

Every single so called "help" forum wanted the user to go into the "root" and typing "commands" etc.  Like the average home user is going to know how to do that!  Besides, what are the odds that I'd understand what gibberish the results from the "commands" would say.

 I found the settings by opening the e-mail program on my desktop, going into "Edit" on the tool bar, select preferences, highlight my name and select modify.  That showed me what the settings currently are and I entered them in on the laptop.  Then I closed the window on the desktop - making no changes. And the lap top e-mail was set up!  Why couldn't the "help" forums just say, "open your email program, click on Edit, select preferences, your settings can be found there"?   I guess all that matters is that email is now set up and working.

No comments:

Post a Comment