Friday, October 4, 2013

Sewing frustrations & trip insurance

I know I've been quiet.  Let me rephrase that.  I haven't been posting very much.  Quiet...not really.  The air around me is blue.  Very blue.   I'm under a time gun and naturally my Janome sewing machine has developed attitude.  I have 4 castle tote bags to make by the beginning of November.  These are to be used on our trip to Disney World. 

Actually, there will be 5 made by the time I'm done.  The first one I made exactly as the pattern said to.  No zippers, outside pockets, way to large to use comfortably, complicated to make etc.  So for the 4 tote bags that we will be using I designed my own. 

The inside has one zippered, one hidden and 3 easy access pockets.  These are in the main pocket which is also secured with a zipper.  The front and back outside of the tote have 2 more pockets each.  One is secured with Velcro and the other is open and will be good for tissue and the like.  The straps will be adjustable for either backpack or tote handles. 

I'm "fancy" stitching the Tinkerbell widows on the towers and above the door and there are huge spaces with no stitching.  I use a new needle and that seems to fix the issue.  Next I decide I want to zig zag the main seams for added security.  Again skipped stitches.  Change the needle and clean the machine again.  When this didn't help, I changed the needle again, changed bobbins and changed threads.  My Janome is back to  it's beautiful stitching - most of the time.  I will be able to finish the project.  Just don't look at the inside stitches. 

I was hoping to get a quilt top done that will be a Christmas present for my DS.  Doesn't look like that will happen.  Sorry Son.   When we get back it will be time to decorate, bake and all the rest that goes with the Christmas season.

Hopefully I can get the machine in for a servicing while I'm away.  As I don't drive, any trip to the sewing centre has to be coordinated with my DH or BFF.  Why don't the techs make house calls?  I'd pay extra for that service!

The real question here is why am I fixating on these bags?  They are a surprise for the ladies.  They will probably only be used one day and then everyone will go back to their favourite thing to carry while touring the parks.   One is a purse type, one doesn't know what she should use and one uses a fanny pack.  I am definitely the backpack type.  Also, cloth bags don't really hold up well at WDW.  Not if it's raining.  And it rains a lot.  Plus think of the luggage space these will take.  But I've gone this far and can't stop.....back to the Janome.

Now back to trip planning:

A week ago I called Travel Guard to purchase trip insurance.  I requested the package be sent by mail and I already have it.  I find this company excellent to deal with when purchasing.  No idea what they are like for making claims.  And I'm hoping I'll never need to find out.  They are the company that Disney uses for their guests (you can purchase it when you book your stay at the resort).  So I'm hoping that's because it's a reliable company.  I will not use RBC insurance which is what WestJet uses.  Too many complaints about that company when it comes to making claims.  Mom and SB have purchased their insurance from Travel Guard as well.  JT will be doing so as well.

This afternoon I will be away from the sewing room.  Going with JT to Costco to help her pick out some new luggage for the trip.  We're getting more excited all the time.  I can't wait to show SB and JT Disney World.  It's always fun seeing people's reactions the first time they go!

No comments:

Post a Comment