Thursday, January 28, 2016

DIY Bobbin Holder

Again....that darn Pinterest.  There was a photo of a DIY bobbin holder.  Plumbing tubing was cut into 1/4" circles, the circle had a slice in it to open it up and there you have it....an in expensive bobbin holder.  No threads spooling off and getting into a tangle.

So off to the hardware store.  Sorry, we don't have that size (3/4" outside - 1/2" inside measurement).  But the store across the city has it in stock.  Long story short...we couldn't find the right size anywhere.  Some things were meant to be.

A quick search on the net showed a few other DIY bobbin holders and I quickly found one that was in expensive, easy and the right one for my needs.  And I can cut to the number I want.  With scissors.  Less chance of cutting myself.   You guessed it...plastic book coil binding.  The kind you sometimes find on cookbooks (so they tell me...I don't cook).

DH picked up a box of 25 for $10 yesterday at Staples.  These are the 1/2" size.  When I came home he had 4 different sizes of bobbins fitted in the coil.  Plastic and metal bobbins.  The only round bobbins that didn't fit were the ones for my Featherweight machine.  And before anyone questions the "round bobbins? - aren't all bobbins round?", no they are not.  Several of my vintage machines use shuttles.  The bobbins that go into the shuttles are referred to as either pin, bar, or long bobbins. 



I'm going to be looking for larger sized binding spines to go over my spools of thread.  The ones not on the spool rack are stored in a plastic box.  And they are a thready mess.  Actually, now that I think about it, I'll probably use the coils to hold the thread on the spools that live on the rack as well.  There is a mess of threads hanging from that as well.  Every time I remove a spool to use it, I have to first untangle it.....off the Staples.

No comments:

Post a Comment