Thursday, September 12, 2013

Getting ready for a trip to WDW

Getting excited!  In approximately 2 months I'm on an all Ladies trip to Walt Disney World!  And what a fun group of ladies to travel with.  My Mom, and my two BFFs.  Our guys are staying home.  We'll make it up to them, I'm sure.

We picked (okay, I picked) the dates for our trip by crowd level.  I first checked out my copy of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.  Next the Disney World Touring Plans site, which I naturally have a subscription to.  We will miss Food and Wine at EPCOT and will leave before the Candle Light Processional which is sad.  But the crowd level will be between 2 and 4 out of 10 except for weekends while we are there.  We shouldn't have to wait in long queues.  Also, the room deals are excellent. 

I listened to my favourite Disney podcasts.  Kept a close eye on Twitter where I follow a lot of WDW experts.  Finally free dining was announced for our chosen vacation time.  (I'll post about dinning in the World another time.)

As soon as free dining was announced I used my gmail phone to call direct to Walt Disney World.  (Disney does not have a 1-800 number and I'm not about to pay long distance if I don't have to).  The Ladies  had given me the go ahead to get things rolling.  As always, it was fun talking to the cast members there.  Tickets for the Mickey's Merry Christmas Party were purchased at the same time.

Next we had to keep an eye on flight costs.  We noticed that West Jet finally came down in price so we quickly booked.  Love West Jet.  They are really, really patient with people like us who just can't seem to make up their minds.

So now we are all booked: rooms, dining, park tickets and flights.  Just have to get travel insurance and tickets for the Universal parks.  Then all that will be left is to pack! (I really wanted to go to Sea World as well.  Everyone else felt that we have enough planned already...darn.)

I've been to the World 3 times and Mom has been there twice.  She's the brave one who loves the rides.  I ride, but I cling to her in terror.  At least on the roller coaster style of rides.  Our Star Tour record is 7 times in one trip.  Mission Space...no problem.  Our biggest challenge will be which rides to encourage our friends to go on.


JT has never been to an amusement park, while SB has visited WDW for a few hours.  Rides are not her thing.  Nor are 3D movies.  Because of vision issues, 3D just doesn't do a thing for her.   So I'm really hoping that both of them will be up to riding Soar'n as that's Mom's favourite and she really wants to share it with them.

The shows, shopping and dining will probably be our main focus.  That and touring the different resorts.  SB spent maybe an hour with us on a previous trip at a Disney Resort.  So she's really looking forward to finding out what it's like to stay at one.  JT has never been to anything like a Disney Resort so this will be fun!

We chose to stay at Pop Century, not just because of the great value but because two of us know our way around it.  So there is the comfort level, especially for Mom.  There are over 2,800 rooms here along with 3 swimming pools and loads of paths to enjoy.  I'm sure JT and SB will get to know the layout quickly. 

Now to make a new back pack or tote and maybe a jacket for everyone (Minnie Mouse themed of course).  Hopefully I can get them made.  Right now the weather is so inviting that I'm spending more time outside walking than in front of the sewing machine.  But that can be considered training for all the walking we will be doing.  I'm not going to tell the Ladies about the jackets or tote bags just in case I don't get them made.

Touring Plans
For Walt Disney World crowd calendar, touring plans and loads of other info!

Some of my favourite WDW podcasts to listen to:

The Dis Unplugged
Be Our Guest Podcast
WDW Radio
WDW Today






No comments:

Post a Comment