Monday, July 2, 2018

Quilt Tops and Sewing Machines

I had promised myself that I would be better with my blog updates.  Yeah, that didn't happen.  It's been ages.  But a lot has happened.

A molar broke, requiring multiple dentist appointments.  I now have a shiny new crown (I wanted a tiara). 

Volunteer sewing wrapped up for the summer with a great pot luck.  I was challenged to bring vegetable noodle dish.  Never one to do things the easy way (like purchase pre-made spiralized vegetables) I went all out and started by looking for a spiralizer.  Fortunately I lucked out and found a $109 electric one on sale for $39.  Better yet, the store was having a one day sale on the item so my final cost was just under $30.  Not bad.  Now to figure out how to use it.  That lead to a lot of experiments.  Some successful, some not.  My contribution to the pot luck was reasonably received and very little came home.  So I guess it was okay.

DH decided I need another sewing machine.  So he picked up a Sew Handy on eBay.  She should be here in a few weeks, and I can't wait!  We're not sure what year she was manufactured.  Once she's here, cleaned up, and researched, I'll put up a post all about this little machine.

At volunteer sewing, the gals were talking about quilted rugs made from jelly rolls (2 1/2" strips).  They are lovely.  A lot of fabric, batting and fusible web used to join the bat is used.  All the talk about rugs made me think of toothbrush rugs.

About 30 years ago I was shown how to make these rugs.  It was fun, but then other interests took over.  I found the toothbrush tool (toothbrush with a hole to hang it up with, the brush part cut off and shaped to a point).  But I could not remember how to make the knot used for the rug. 

A quick YouTube search and I found several methods, including the one I had been shown.  Naturally, I sent a link to the video to my Mom.  She immediately emails me back to say she was making rugs this way back in the 1930's when she was 5 or 6 years old.  These rugs were used beside the beds on winter mornings when the wood stove would have burned out and those floors were ice cold!  A lot of memories were talked about!  If I ever produce a rug with decent tension, I'll post a photo of it!

DH's parents love going to garage sales.  MIL brought over one of her finds:


A huge pile of flannel.  All in large triangle shapes.  I only remembered to take a photo when the pile was 2/3" cut down into usable squares and rectangles.  It took several days to get all this fabric cut down.  But it will be great for the fidget quilts the volunteers make.

Susan from our MeWe group posted a photo of a quilt she's working on.  As soon as she named the book I realized I have the same book.  And I've never made anything from it!  Off the the sewing room.  Sunny Lanes from Pat Speth's "Nickle Quilts" was quickly made.   This top made a small dent in my 5" scrappy squares.  I might have to make a dozen more to notice any real reduction.  But it's a start!

One of these days I'll get to the quilt frame, finish the quilt already on it.  Then finish the 5 or 6 waiting to be quilted.  Then get this one done!

No comments:

Post a Comment