Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Free Motion Challenge - So Far

The free motion challenge has been a lot of fun.  First there was meandering.  I didn't think I'd enjoy meandering.  Now with a bit more practice it's kinda fun.

We've done Dot to Dot quilting.  I didn't do that practice, although when you see what I have done in the past, you'll know that I really need to spend more time at it!


 Both of these quilts are from a hearts2hands virtual retreat where we played with the L Block and different ways to put the blocks together.   On one of them I also practiced a grid pattern using ruler work.


Angela had us using an all over leaf design.   You know I had fun with this.  My go to is leaves.  It all started out trying to quilt continuous line hearts.  But the hearts never looked like hearts.  So I went with leaves.  No one ever expects them to look all the same. I've had hours of practice both on a DSM and on the Bailey with frame.


 I still have to try out the serpentine, which is this weeks design.  And get better at curves.   One of these days I'll get a photo up of the practice curves.  The air was blue with my first attempt.  But looking back at the sample now, I think that if an entire quilt was done with these curves, it would be okay.  Depending on the thread choice of course.

On a side note:   I pulled out the Phoenix kit that DH gave me a few years ago.  I'm very confused with the instructions.  But it's not that the instructions are not really good.  I'm sure they are.  It's just my mind set.  I'll get it figured out.  What has me confused is that the pieces are to be fussy cut from one piece of fabric.  But there is also some piecing before some of the cuts.  Because of my blurry eye, I'm not able to concentrate for any length of time to figure out the instructions.   Hopefully when my eye heals things will become "clearer"  (sorry about the pun).  Here's one of the fabric panels (there are four in the kit).


If I make a mistake in the cutting...there is no extra fabric.  Not even on the designer's web site. 

No comments:

Post a Comment