Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A UFO finished

I just finished another quilt!  This one had been waiting to be quilted for a longggg time!  I just couldn't figure out how to quilt around the folded fabric.  The folded flying geese blocks are easy to make.  Just one seam.  But a pain to quilt on a frame.  The machine's foot gets caught up in the folds and that causes all sorts of headaches.

I tried placing tissue on top of the quilt and stitching through that.  It worked out great for the first few minutes.  Not only didn't the foot get caught up in the folds, but because of the difference in the colour of the tissue paper and the thread, I could easily see how the stitching was going.  I loved it!  Until the paper started tearing and getting jammed in the machine and wrapped around the foot.  Not going to try that method again soon.  But I do have a lot of tissue paper left over for wrapping gifts....

So I moved on to the centre portion of the quilt.  Got it quilted with some free motion quilting.  Then using the frame, I pinned the borders with the folded blocks, removed the quilt from the frame and finished it off on my domestic machine.  Nothing fancy, just echoing the straight seams on the borders.

So that's another unfinished object out of the cupboard, ready to be given away!  And a lesson learned regarding folded fabric piecing and getting the quilting done on this type of top.




No comments:

Post a Comment