Thursday, June 18, 2015

A quilting rant

On Saturday my husband, Mom, best friend and several other quilting buddies attended a local quilt show.  We enjoyed seeing some wonderful quilts and of course doing some shopping from the vendor booths.

DH found a quilt kit that included a panel picturing the type of machines his company rents.   When he asked me if I would make this quilt, I of course said yes.  He's buying the fabric, I get to play, and he gets the quilt to take to work.  Good deal!  The kit was $99. 

Turns out the fabric included in the kit was not what was suggested in the pattern.  It was very busy themed fabric in the same fabric line as the panel.  There would be no place to rest your eyes if I used it.  So I purchased the perfect fabric from the LQS when I was at volunteer sewing. 

Last night I started the quilt.  The first to be cut is the solid black fabric which was included in the kit.  This is for the binding and sashing.  Enough fabric was included for the binding and to cut ONE of the four 1.5" strips for the sashing!   

I can understand wanting to get rid of the fabric line if it's not selling.  I can sympathize even.  I'll piece the themed fabric for the quilt back.  It won't go to waste.  But to charge that much for a kit, then not provide the fabric measurements listed in the pattern? So disappointing.  And not something I've experienced before. 

The ladies at my local quilt shop are so generous when making up kits.  I think they add extra in case the quilter wants to individualize the pattern in some way, or makes a mistake.  To be shorted by 6" in width on one fabric....there is no excuse that I can think of.  Just for "fun" I might measure the fabrics that I won't be using to see if the quilt could have been done with the intended fabrics. 

Okay...my rant is done....for now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment