Thursday, May 21, 2015

Neptune's Garden

Allergy season is definitely upon us.  But that doesn't keep quilters away from their sewing machines!  A number of quilters in my online groups have been posting messages about their creative efforts while feeling under the weather these past few weeks.  Add me to the list.

At the end of last week I dragged my runny nose (along with the rest of me) to the cutting/pressing table.  With watery eyes I figured out the cutting instructions for my Florida quilt "Neptune's Garden". 

By day's end on Friday I had all the pieces cut and labelled. Except for cutting for the final two borders.  The pattern called for a narrow border and then a 5" wide border.  I always have issues with wide non pieced borders.  No matter how carefully I measure the quilt, they always seem to have "waves" when I go to quilt the top.  I decided to wait before cutting the fabric.

 With our weekly breakfast out, grocery shopping (and putting groceries away) finished, I headed back into the sewing room.  By Sunday evening the top only had two more borders to be added.  Eight more seams!  I just couldn't do it. It had to wait until Monday. 

Naturally I couldn't sleep because the unfinished top was calling.  "How could you leave me with just 8 more seams to do?"  (Plus worrying about a sick cat kept me away as well.)  By 5:30 am I was back in the sewing room cutting the final two borders - both narrow ones.  And by 7:30 am the top was finished, including the final pressing.






Now to start quilting the top on the frame so I can get this one on.  I'm really looking forward to finishing this quilt.  The designer's instructions were great.  Even my head stuffed up with allergies, it was fun to work on.  And because the quilt shop was more than generous with the amount of fabric in their kit, I naturally did not have any cutting or sewing issues.  (We all know what happens when you have "just" enough fabric when working on a project!  Murphy's Law".)






No comments:

Post a Comment