Thursday, May 14, 2015

Vacation time is over...now for the garden, bees and sewing

When we go on a vacation we plan.  A lot.  Then there is the actual vacation.  After that is finishing the travel journal, organizing almost 2000 photos and boring family and friends with stories of our travels.  It's all very time consuming.

Add to that, coming home to a sick kitty.  Tina, who is now 17 years old, did not do well at the cat "resort" she was at.  And she is missing her companion of 17 years, Ba'el.  Tina's blood tests show some issues, but her kidneys and thyroid are working just fine.  No diabetes which is what they are sure they will find every time they run tests.  But she has a white cell count that is so high she shouldn't be alive.  So this has been a very long couple of weeks.

On the good news front we managed to find someone who would sell us 30 mason bees!  They are in the fridge right now!  We're just waiting for the weather to be a bit warmer before putting them out.  And for the plants we put in for the bees to have more flowers.  If you don't make your yard attractive for the bees, they just buzz off... with no thanks for bringing them to visit.  So we have the flowers, water that they can access, bee houses and the clay they use to protect the baby bees.  Here's hoping they stay.

I actually had time to get into the sewing room.  The Pumpkin Patch Lane blocks for this month were waiting for me.  And it was a challenge.  Four borders and four corner blocks.  Pieced and applique.


 So here's how the quilt top is shaping up:

One more month (and the final border) and all the piecing and applique will be done and then I'll be figuring out how I want to quilt it.

Needing a break from applique, I started my "Florida" quilt.  If I remember correctly it's actually called Neptune's Garden.  But to me, it says "Florida". 

I purchased a kit that was made up at a local quilt shop.  They are very generous in their measurements.  Which I appreciate since I always have "issues" that I have to correct. 

Since I knew the shop had substituted two fabrics from what is shown in the pattern, I decided to measure what I had received to see what fabric was to be used for what part of the pattern.  I usually don't do this.  There are stickers on the fabric when I get it that tell me what a particular piece of fabric is to be used for.  It's a good thing that I measured the yardage before I started cutting.  Several fabric were labelled incorrectly.  Most likely the little stickers fell off in the packaging.  Imagine needing to cut fifteen 2.5" strips only to find you run out of fabric after 10 strips.  Would have been a challenge to figure out what to do next to save the quilt.

Hopefully I will have a quilt top to post by the weekend.  This top is straight sewing, no applique.  So hopefully it goes together quickly.  Even if it doesn't, it's great to be back in the sewing room.







No comments:

Post a Comment