Monday, December 23, 2013

The Gift I'm Most Looking Forward to Giving For Christmas

I'm not going to write about the gift I'm most excited about giving.  That's for my son. Since once in a while he actually looks to see what I'm up to here, I best not discuss that gift until after the 25th.

But the second gift that I"m most looking forward to giving is a book.  It's written by the mom of one of my husband's classmates from junior and senior high.  Our parents will be receiving hard copies.  I just finished reading the e-book version today.

This book is available in e-book form from Amazon.  Helga Tucque writes about leaving Germany after WWII and how it was decided that Edmonton would be her family's new home.   

"Oh, These Crazy Immigrants" will bring back so many memories for my Mom and my in-laws.  They will be able to relate to her stories.

She writes about life in Edmonton in the 1950's.  Driving to Jasper.  The beauty scenery as well as difficulties driving the mountain roads.  Waking up with snow on their tents, loosing keys to the car on the ski slopes.  She reminds us that businesses were not open on Sundays or religious holidays.  These are all stories that our family will relate to.  And will be sure to bring back their own memories. 

I'm hoping Helga will continue writing.  I'd love to give more of her books to the family next year for Christmas.  Looking back, a book was always one of my Christmas gifts.  I can't remember a Christmas when  I didn't receive a book until recently.  I think we need to get back to that tradition.

For many years I would buy a magazine called "Those Good Old Days" Christmas edition.  I would give this magazine instead of Christmas cards to the seniors in my life.  We would sit together going through the stories and the reprints of advertisements from their childhood.  This would bring out stories from their lives.  After they finished with the magazine it would be passed along to other seniors they knew.  Now the magazine is not available locally and we all miss it. 

Helga's book helps bring that part of my Christmas traditions back.  And I thank her.


No comments:

Post a Comment