Sunday, August 9, 2015

Cool Trivia Regarding My Treadle Sewing Machine

In my last post I mentioned my in-law's Reliance treadle sewing machine.  As any reader of my blog knows, I am a quilter and a Disney fan.  Could there be any connection between the treadle machine my in-laws gave me and Disney?  You bet there is!

Having no experience maintaining a treadle let alone using one, the first thing to do was find a manual.  Only pages 11 to 20 were in the sewing machine cabinet drawer.  So a search on the Internet was required.

Mom and Dad purchased their machine from the 1950 Eaton's catalogue.  It took time to create the sales ads and ship out the catalogues.  So one of my first searches was "Reliance sewing machine 1949 Eatons".

What I found was a Disney connection.

The artist who drew the Eaton's catalogue illustration of the sewing machine was Charlie Thorson from Winnipeg, Manitoba.  Mr. Thorson worked for Disney at one point.  Besides working on a large number of animated shorts, he is credited for his work on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

One never knows where an Internet search will take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment