Saturday, August 15, 2015

Another Treadle Follows Me Home

My sister in law and I explored a granary while we were at the farm last weekend (in-laws' 65 anniversary).  We found an old treadle machine and thanks to my sister in law, I now have it at home.  Of course my DH and my father in law were involved in the actual lifting and transportation.  But I'm giving the most credit to my sister in law.

The machine is a White treadle from about 1905.  And for such an old gal she looks and works great.  Despite being stored for many years, she sews great.  Nothing is ceased up.  Everything turns freely - without being oiled!

The cabinet needs some work (a lot actually) but it's in better condition than we originally thought. 

The bobbin winder is missing some parts.  So it's a bit more complicated to use the "bar bobbin" for the vibrating shuttle.  There was two shuttles in good condition and one that is unusable.  Only one bobbin was found for the machine.  It's not easy to find this type of bobbin.  We've been discussing how to make them using empty ball point pen refills.  Who knows.  It might even work.

The embellishment/decals on the machine are in excellent condition.  Quite a bit is still gold.  Detergents did not touch this machine since that would have caused the decals to go silver. 

The attachments were found in the original tin inside a drawer.

For now this treasure is sitting in my front all waiting for it's new owner to pick up.  Anyone who has come over to see her has fallen in love.  Including those not interested in sewing!

The first to offer the treadle a home is it's new owner.  One of my best friends is making pick up and delivery arrangements.  I can only hope it doesn't take too long.  Both DH and I are bonding with this treadle more and more each day.  The only thing that reassures us is that the new owner will give the treadle the loving attention it needs.  And will actually use it for sewing.  It's about time the machine was used properly.





No comments:

Post a Comment