Sunday, May 18, 2014

A finished quilt and binding it.

When I was cleaning my sewing room I came across some sample blocks made ages ago.  After sewing them together it was obvious that some borders needed to be added to make the quilt a usable size.  So several plain borders were used, then some folded flying geese.

This type of flying geese blocks are easy to make.  They need only one seam per block.  Check out the Ricky Tims tutorial video if interested.  One issue with using a folded block when machine quilting on a frame.  The foot can get stuck in the fold - often.  A few more cups of coffee and it probably wouldn't have been as much of a problem.  Or next time use normal flying geese blocks....

Since the binding would be sewn on using a decorative stitch, I stitched  it on the back then folded over to the front.

For joining the ends of the binding I used the method shown in this video for the first time:  McCall's - How to bind a quilt

Wouldn't you know.  I drew the 1/2" line on the wrong side of the stitching line.  The binding was too short and "modifications" had to be made to the binding so I could make it work.  Totally my fault.  Measure (and think) twice, cut once.

Next time I add binding I'm going to try this method:

Easy way to join the binding

It will be more difficult to get confused.  Not impossible, just more difficult.  I can get any direction messed up.

Next came the decorative stitching on the front of the quilt.  The thread kept breaking.  I'm using a new needle, new thread and the machine has been cleaned and oiled.  No reason for my trusty Janome to have this issue.  I want this quilt done so I can get on to a fun pocket quilt for our new little neighbour. 

My guys are into leather tooling so I've spent many an hour wandering around Tandy Leather while they shop.  On a whim, I purchased some machine leather tool needles.  What the heck...I'll try one of these needles.  They have a cutting edge to pierce leather.  Maybe the needle will make a clean hole for the thread so it doesn't shred.  It worked like a charm.  Been ages since I didn't have to fuss with the corners when sewing on binding with a decorative stitch.  All those layers of fabric you know.  It will be interesting to see how the quilt holds up to use after using this needle.  I'm hoping no holes appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment