Thursday, October 15, 2015

My first frame/machine set up

In 2005 I purchased a Janome 1600P with a Super Quilter frame.  This unit worked great for smaller quilts.  Baby quilts, lap quilts, and wall hangings.  If I used very thin bat a twin size quilt could be managed. 

There are two issues with this set up.  The first was that I could not figure out a way to get a 12' table or board home.  This would enabled the use the of the extension rods, making quilting a double or queen size quilt a breeze.

One of the deciding factors for getting my Bailey and Grace frame was that they were delivered to the house.  No trying to find someone with a large vehicle to help get it home. 

The other issue is that with the pick up bar and the Janome throat of 9"  I could only use a very small quilting pattern. 

I now realize that this should have been viewed as a blessing.  It should have made me choose more intricate smaller designs.  But by the time I get to the quilting, I'm ready for the quilt to have it's binding added and done.  Piecing is the part of quilting that I enjoy.  So instead of looking at the smaller quilting space as a way to improve the end result, I looked at it as slowing the completion of the quilt.

The Super Quilter and the Janome 1600P is now set up in my living room.  This weekend it will be put up for sale on Kijji.  It will be sad to see it go.  The Super Quilter frame sets up in 10 minutes and goes down in less than 5.  Stores flat.  Takes up very little room for storage.  But I'm not using it.  Time to let it go along with the machine.  Time to let someone else experience quilting without having to worry about the basting process.













No comments:

Post a Comment