Friday, March 21, 2014

Sewing Room is cleaned up

I can see floor in my sewing room!  It was a lot of work getting it cleaned up.  And wouldn't you know, more half finished projects were found.  I don't even remember starting them! 

And kits....loads of kits.  Some I purchased, but a lot were gifts from family and friends that I really wanted to do but forgot about.

Am I happy with how the room is organized at the moment.  No.  But it will have to do.  It's a sad tale of taking on way too much and decisions creating more work.

First my cousin is downsizing and donated 5 boxes of fabric for making bags for women shelters.  This is a project that volunteers at my local quilt shop work on one day a month.  The fabric was in all shapes and sizes so I spent a lot of hours sorting and cutting down into usable sizes.  Then I just had to try stitching one up and ended up with over 30 made minus the draw strings.

In the optimism of spring arriving, I brought out my summer clothes.  Well it snowed, but the job was started and had to be finished.  That's when I stupidly made a suggested to my husband.  Each of us had half of our clothes in my son's old room and half in our room.  Maybe put all of mine in one closet and all of his in the other.  DH agreed so the moving of clothes was done.  Unfortunately there are shelves at each end of the closet DH chose.  This prevents us using the full length of the closet rod.  So the shelves were emptied so he can use the entire closet.

On those shelve were about 40 photo albums and boxes of photos that never made it into an album.  See where this is going?  Yep, all the photos and albums had to be reorganized.  Some were from both sets of parents as they downsize, some were from relatives that have passed away.  Many of these photos are of people my son would not know.  Do I throw them away, or label them.  Decisions were difficult.  And it's ongoing.

Then where do I put these pictures?  In the shelves by my computer is the answer.  But that's where my quilting books and magazines are.  But wait...wouldn't it be better if they were in my sewing room?  But the shelves in there hold fabric.  Plus there are those 5 boxes of donated fabric (minus the 30 bags).  So the fabric from the shelves are now in plastic bins, not really visible but the boxes are labelled.  The quilt books and magazines are on the sewing room shelves.  The sorted donated fabric is now at the quilt shop awaiting volunteer sewing day.  And I can see the floor of my sewing room.

As for the photos....it's an on going process.  I am happy to report that I did get all of my Mom's slides scanned and onto a DVD.  (Two DVDs actually.  It was a big job.) They are now on her computer and she really enjoys seeing photos that she hasn't been able to access for a lot of years.  Talk about memories!  (Now to finish scanning ours.....after I finish with current project.)

Who knows...I just may be able to get some quilting done this month.  Oh, and the 3 Welcome to the North Pole blocks for this month are sewn but still need embellishment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment